Tanzania Mafia Island
Mafia Island is the archipelago of the Rufiji Delta. The word “Mafia” comes from the Grab word “Morfieyeh” which means a group, and used to describe the group of 4 peaceful coral islands comprising the archipelago. It is considered as a:-
- Natural aquarium, rich in marine fauna
- Paradise for anglers
- Breathtaking palm beaches and azure blue waters.
Mafia Island is a Marine Park as it is surrounded by a dense coral reef. The economy is based on fishing, subsistence agriculture and the market in Kilindoni. The island attracts some tourists, mainly adventure scuba divers, game fishermen, and people wanting relaxation. Tourists enjoy visiting a population of pygmy hippopotamus, the excavated ruins of Kua, as well as cycling and hiking.
394 sq. Km
Location & Getting There
The Island is located on the Eastern side of Tanzania about 137 Km from Dar es Salaam. Getting there can be by:-
- Speed Boats from Dar es Salaam,
- Scheduled flight from Arusha, Mwanza, Mbeya, Mtwara and Dar es Salaam Airports.
What to do
- Explore the beautiful beaches
- Scuba diving
- Visit the excavated ruins of Kua
- Total relaxation
When to go
- All time around the year